Friday, August 7, 2009

New Rabbits!

Wednesday my dad and I made the 5 hour drive to Lloyd's. I told my dad that I did not want anymore than 8 rabbits a week beforehand... The day before, i said defiently no more than 10... I came home with 12... I do not have pedigrees quite yet, so I only have very limited info on them all. I got 9 Blacks, which it wasn't until after picking them all out, I found out they were all his pure Blacks. I got two nice bucks. I'm very excited to be breeding TC into my rabbits. This bucks has an awesome head! Lloyd only had a handful of bucks throughout the years that he considers his greatest, and this buck is one of them. At least 4 of the does I got are daughters of his. I believe he said that TC's sire is Britton's Barry, who was a nice animal, with a Best in Show win.
I also got a young buck, who looks around 5 months old, that is nice too.
All seven of the does are very nice. Five of them have not been bred before, and a few are only 5 months old. I was looking for type only, disregarding the markings, so there are a few not so pleasant marked ones in there. My favorite doe for type is probably my split stop doe. Some of these does go back to Bazooka, and one of them is even out of Johnston's Lucky (a nice buck I got from Don & Carol when they sold out, that Lloyd borrowed).
I also got two Blue does, both are very nice.
Then I got something I did not plan on, and no she's not staying... a Steel doe. What's left of Lloyd's rabbits are going to a meat lady next week, and she was just too gorgeous to send to that. She has a huge buck head, and gorgeous type. I'm tempted to keep her, and do Steels again (probably my fave color after Blacks), but I like keeping my rabbitry small. Jan is going to take a look at her tomorrow at the show, and she will most likely go there.
So since I took more rabbits than planned, I really need to make some cuts... I just do not want to part with anyone though... Luckily I have the cage space, it's just me wanting to keep the herd down to a small easy to care for number (believe it or not, I still have several empty cages).
Currently DDLB a Black 6 month old buck, with one leg for a BOSV and DDAF a Black 4 month old doe with one leg for a BOB are both for sale.
Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day. I'm secretary of the two Dutch specialties, and will be judging in the all breed benefit show. Nicole and I also have to go through Arson x Rainy litter sometime during the day (which are really super already!).
Not expecting much for any of the rabbits. With the heat, everyone has blown their coats. The worst is probably Arson... He has no coat right now.
Litter wise, Desperado x Piper have a gorgeous litter! They'll be 8 weeks on Monday, but I have a gorgeous typed and marked little Black buck. Also have a nicely marked Black doe and Blue doe. They're both a bit on the runty side, but show promising type.

No comments: